Saturday 2 March 2013

Meatless Monday: Rustic Tomato Pizza

So, this is mine and my man's favorite homemade pizza. We don't eat it when I have my son, because he HATES tomatoes. He doesn't hate many foods, but he HATES tomatoes. He can't even cut them when he helps me make supper.  For those who follow my posts regularly, you may have noticed that I have posted a few pizzas on my blog. I  have for many reasons that I will list for you.

1. Cheeeeeese!!!
2. I can put any ingredient that I want on it
3. It is easy to make
4. It is quick to make
5. Cheeeeeese!!!

Rustic Tomato Pizza - click for the link

So, I don't make my own pizza dough. Why would I when I can buy delicious whole grain frozen dough for a couple of bucks at my local bakery. It is the best dough I have ever had. For those who live in the KV area, go to the MacPhee's bakery. You will find it in their freezer. If you really want to make your own, click on the link to the original recipe.

Ingredients:

  • 3 Tablespoons Dijon or whole-grain mustard
  • 2-3 large fresh tomatoes 0r 5 Roma tomatoes
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons dried herbs (I used parsley and oregano)
  • fresh basil
  • 1 onion 
  • kosher salt
  • pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
Instructions:

1. Set the dough out to thaw in the morning.

2. When you are ready to spread the dough on a pizza sheet, put some olive oil on your hands to prevent the dough from sticking to you. I also put cornmeal on the bottom of the sheet before I spread the dough. This is completely optional.



3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

4. Cut the onions however you like to cut them and saute on a low heat with some olive oil and 1 clove (or more) of garlic. I like to cut mine in a ring shapes for this recipe. 

5. Spread the mustard in a THIN layer over the dough. Don't put too much or it will be too overpowering, but put enough on so you can taste it. Honestly, the mustard is what makes this pizza so good. So you have to like mustard in order to like this recipe. Here is a picture of the whole grain mustard I use. I use about 3 scoops of this size to cover it all.



6. Slice tomatoes and arrange in a single layer over the whole dough. Put the olive oil and garlic in a small dish and then brush it over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with kosher salt, red pepper flakes and dried herbs.

7.  Top with sliced mozzarella; sprinkle with a bit more salt, pepper flakes (skip this if you don't want it too spicy) and the sauteed onion. Then add the fresh basil.

8. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes (based on your oven) until crust is golden and cheese is brown and bubbly. Allow to cool about 10 minutes, then serve!








4 comments:

  1. I normally don't really like these kinds of pizza, but this looks really good. There isn't anything on it I don't like. I don't think I could get anyone else in my house to eat it though. I'll have to come to your house. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by "these" kinds of pizza? Haha!

      Delete
  2. I guess maybe "gourmet?" Hahah! I don't know. When I eat pizza, it's sauce, meat, cheese, maybe some onions or pineapples. I don't often eat it without pizza sauce, or with spinach on it. This looks good though. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually fresh basil, though spinach would be good!

    ReplyDelete