Wednesday 20 March 2013

Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet

Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet



YOU NEED TO PUT THIS ON YOUR MENU THIS WEEK.

NOW.

Why don't you hop in your car now?

I am serious.

I think this is one of my top favourite recipes this year.Wait, I don't think, I KNOW. Not only does it taste delicious, but it was very easy and QUICK to make....and it all cooks in one pan!!! This recipe will be put on a frequent rotation in our house. I HIGHLY recommend.

I was supposed to make steak, roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes, however on our first day of spring, we got dumped with snow. I didn't feel like BBQing, so I used this recipe as a back up plan and I am so happy that I did.

I made a few adjustments, but not many. I stayed pretty true to the original recipe.


Ingredients:
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
12 oz smoked turkey sausage (kielbasa), sliced **I removed casings and next time I would chop them up smaller to get a little in every bite**
2 large shallots or 1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3-4 green onions, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
10 oz can of stewed/diced tomatoes
1/2 cup whipping cream
1-2 bell peppers, chopped *I added this**
1 tsp of red pepper flakes **I added this**
8 oz cut pasta (I used whole wheat rotini) **UNCOOKED**
4 cups baby spinach
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, for topping
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage, peppers, onions and red pepper flakes, then saute for about 5 minutes (do not over cook or sausage will become rubbery.) Add garlic then cook for 30 more seconds, stirring constantly.
  2. Turn heat up to high then add chicken broth, tomatoes, whipping cream, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then add pasta and stir to combine. Place a lid on top then simmer for 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente, stirring once or twice. Add green onion and spinach, then stir to combine and cook until the spinach becomes wilted, about 1 minute. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment