Friday 29 March 2013

Broiled Tilapia with Thai Coconut-Curry Sauce

I learned how to make this dish at a local cooking class with my 2 girlfriends. It smelled soooo good while it was cooking and it tasted even better. I don't eat fish. 

Of any kind. 

But I wanted to give it a try and I have to say Tilapia has no taste, so I liked it. I decided to make it at home instead of substituting it with chicken. It was a nice treat for my man who loves fish, but rarely gets to eat it at home. Even though I like it, my disdain for fish is so deep, that I still struggle a little with each bite, but I think I will get better.

This dish came together very quickly when the food prep was done the night before.




Ingredients:

hot cooked basmati rice
tilapia fillets (I cooked 2)
lime wedges
Cooking spray
1 tsp     dark sesame oil
2 tsp     minced peeled fresh ginger
2          garlic cloves
1 cup    finely chopped red bell pepper
1 cup    chopped green onion
1 tsp     curry powder
2 tsp     red curry paste
1/2 tsp  ground cumin
4 tsp     low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp   brown sugar
1/2 tsp  salt, divided
1          (14oz) coconut milk
2 tbsp   chopped fresh cilantro
         
Directions:

1. Heat 1/2 tsp of sesame oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic, cook for 1 minute.

2. Add peppers and onions, cook for 1 minute.

3. Stir in curry powder, paste and cumin, cook for 1 minute.

4. Add soy sauce, sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt and coconut milk, bring to a simmer (not boil). **the recipe did not say how long to simmer it, so I didn't for very long, but next time I will simmer it for longer to reduce the sauce and thicken it up more**

5. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

6. Brush fish with 1/2 tsp of sesame oil, sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt. Place fish on baking sheet covered with cooking spray. Broil for 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork **we broiled it for 12 minutes I think**

7. Serve fish with sauce, rice and lime wedges.



No comments:

Post a Comment