Sunday 24 February 2013

How I Meal plan and my Meal Plan for Feb 25 - Mar 1

So, when I make my meal plans, I keep a few things in mind.

1. What food do I already have in the fridge/cupboard, especially things that will expire or go bad. I try to find recipes that will allow me to use this food. Since I am only getting groceries once a week on the weekends, I need to make my recipes that call for fresh herbs or vegetables at the beginning of the week.

2. What do I have on the go for that day? Will have time to actually make this recipe? Do I have time to prep the night before?

3. I try to balance my menu, ex:, not having rice or pasta 2 nights in a row. We eat mostly chicken in the winter (because I don't need to grill it on the BBQ to enjoy it, unlike steak) and it is also a very versatile food. I tend to gravitate towards a lot of chicken recipes, but I am trying to only cook it once or twice a week or at least prepare it in very different ways.

4. I like to try new recipes because I get bored. However, always trying new recipes can be time consuming since I am not familiar with the recipe. So, I am trying to incorporate some of my staple recipes in my meal plan once or twice a week.

5. I keep my children in mind. Not that I don't care about my man (he will eat anything other then cucumbers and celery), but I will not spend time and money on food that I know my children will not like. My son is not a fussy eater and I am proud that he loves a variety of food, so I will not force him to eat something that I know he won't like. I have a feeling I will not be as blessed with my daughter. She seems to be going down the fussy road. I will always try to find meals that everyone likes, but I know I can't please everyone every night, so if I can please them just a few times a week and I have fed them a healthy meal, then I am happy.

Click on titles to take you to the link

Meatless Monday - Rustic Tomato Tart - this is a staple recipe and I have made it before and I LOVE it.


Tuesday - Strawberry Avocado Salad with Spicy Maple Pecans and Key West Chicken - I have made the chicken before and I love it. The salad will be new to make though.


Wednesday - Beef Teriyaki with Noodles - this is one of my man's favorite recipes. It's in a recipe book, so I will blog the recipe later.

Thursday - French toast

Friday - Massaman Curry - another staple recipe that we love


2 comments:

  1. Hey Foo, gonna try the Tomato Tart sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We ate it last night and it is sooooo good. I don't make the crust though. I buy mine pre-made. I used multi-grain this time and I LOVED it. I also don't fold over the crust, I just make it like a normal pizza.

      Delete