Sunday 16 December 2012

Whirly Twirly Pizza

I loved this recipe, simply for the fact that it changes a basic recipe in a fun way. Honestly, it is no different then making a homemade pizza, it is just served differently then in a pizza pie form. It was a hit with my son, therefore it will be made again.  It would go great with some salad on the side.

Ingredients:

Pizza dough (I chose to buy the Sobey's frozen dough found in the freezer of the bakery section)
cornmeal
Pizza sauce (I make my own, the recipe will follow at the end)
Your favorite toppings
I chose:
spinach
fresh basil
marble and monterey jack with hot peppers cheese
pepperoni
(next time I would add BACON, sauteed peppers and onions)

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425F
2. I shake a little cornmeal on my counter (maybe a tsp or 2). This prevents the dough from sticking to the counter. I prefer it over flour.


3. Spread out the dough with your hands. I put olive oil on my hands to prevent the dough from sticking to my fingers.
4. Spread the sauce evenly over the dough.
5. Grate cheese on the sauce
6. Lay down your favorite toppings.

7. Put another layer of cheese on top.
8. Roll the dough like like a log
9. Cut into small chunks
10. Grease a basking dish and place the pizza rolls in. Grate some more cheese or extra toppings on top
11. Bake for 17-20 min. I kept checking on the dough in the middle to make sure it was cooked.


Pizza sauce recipe:
 I can of tomato paste
1/2 - 1 cup of tomato sauce or marinara sauce
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
half of an onion
2 tsp pf oregano
1 tsp pf paprika
chili flakes (optional)

Instructions:

1. add oil to a pan and sautee the garlic and onions.
2. Once the onions are translucent, add the tomato paste and sauce. Mix well.
3. Add spices. I also add a little chili flakes for some heat.
4. Simmer for a few minutes, but it will be thick, so it will need to be stirred often. If it gets too thick, just add some water.

No comments:

Post a Comment