Monday 31 December 2012

Baked French Toast Casserole

Baked French Toast Casserole

IMPORTANT NOTE**MAKE THE NIGHT BEFORE** the toppings can be made the morning of

I made this Christmas Eve so we could eat is Christmas morning and it was soooooooo good. It almost was a like a dessert. There was a lot left over, so we ate it for breakfast for a few days and it was still just as good.

Ingredients:

1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces) **I used french bread, but I am sure any bread will do**
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup

Directions


Slice bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:


  • 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
  • 1 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. We used our fingers to spread it evenly on top.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, this sounds tasty. I think I'll give it a try but probably without the topping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The topping is the best part!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I decided I would give this a bash tonight for tomorrow morning but I just re-read the recipe and I don't think we have half & half here. So I had a shoofty on 'tinternet and found a recipe that uses cream so I can now try it.
    Plus, I won't be making the topping 'cos Gary doesn't like nuts.

    ReplyDelete