Friday 18 January 2013

The flu and Orzo

So, there was no meal plan for this week either since I had the flu. The most I could manage was chicken noodle soup and toast.

I did promise to post my favourite recipe from the week we had no tech. I bombed one recipe, well, I didn't bomb, the recipe did. I only found one new favourite recipe and I actually made it twice, plus my daughter couldn't get it into her mouth fast enough. I had never had Orzo before and I thought it was rice, but I found it in the pasta section of the grocery store. This recipe is a great side dish and very quick and easy to make.

Herb and Cheese Orzo

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp butter
1 cup orzo
1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese
1/8 cup of minced chives
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (I skipped this ingredient)

Instructions:

1. Bring broth to a boil, add butter and orzo, reduce heat and simmer until the broth is absorbed.

2. Stir in cheese, chives and nuts.

I found the broth got absorbed before the orzo got cooked all the way through, but I let it sit off of the heat for a little while after I added all the ingredients and it was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment