Tuesday 29 January 2013

Pad Thai

My Meatless Monday pick was Pad Thai (click on name for link)

I really liked this recipe. I have made Pad Thai before and I found there was not enough flavor in other recipes, but this one was perfect. It was light, crunchy and flavorful. Even better, it was easy and quick. I couldn't stop eating it, plus I am a sucker for noodles. My son loved it, so it was kid approved! I added bean sprouts and I think those were his favorite part. I will be making this again and again.

I made a few adjustments and I noted them in the recipe.

Ingredients:


**I doubles the sauce, so I doubled the sugar, soy sauce, lime juice and garlic. I didn't use it all though, maybe 3/4 and if it is too saucy, drain some out**


8 ounces of wide flat rice noodles ( I uses 11 ounces so I could have leftovers)
Bean sprouts
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 squirt (about 1/8 teaspoon) Sriracha (optional) **I didn't have this so I added some thai chili paste, not a lot**
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 scallions (green onions), white and green parts, separated and thinly sliced **I used 6**
1 garlic clove, minced 
2 large eggs, light beaten (optional)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped roasted, salted peanuts


Directions:

**I recommend doing all your prep before you start to cook because it comes together very quickly. Also, have a plate ready to put the egg on when it finishes cooking**



1. Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain. Put aside.  I used this kind:

2. In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, and Sriracha.


2. Chop the end of the scallion. Chop the greens and put aside. Chop the white part and put aside.

      

3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Beat eggs, then add them and and cook, scraping skillet with spatula until eggs are almost set (about 30 seconds). Transfer eggs to a plate.


4. Add noodles, scallion greens, and sauce to skillet. Cook, tossing constantly, until noodles are soft (about 1 minute). Add egg mixture and toss to coat, breaking eggs up gently. I also added bean sprouts at the end.



5. Serve noodles  topped with cilantro and peanuts.




2 comments:

  1. Just made this! It is excellent. I agree on the extra sauce though. I only made what the recipe said and I had to add a bit of extra soy sauce at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do love this recipe. Great for lunch the next day too.

    ReplyDelete