Sunday 19 May 2013

Lighter Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce

Lighter Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce



So, I made some pretty yummy food this past week, but I think this Alfredo sauce would have to be my favourite. One of my girlfriends called me to thank me for posting this recipe. She said it was one of the easiest Alfredo recipes that she has made....as well as the best tasting. I have made MANY Alfredo sauce recipes and my favourite is when my man makes it from the recipe in his head, but since he sucks at remembering things, I always have to rely on a  recipe or I have to wing it.

When I made this, it was a thicker sauce...I did cheat and use SOME whipping cream instead of sticking to the 2% milk like the recipe calls for, so that is probably why mine turned out so thick. It can be easily fixed with some of the reserved pasta water. I only reserves 1/2 cup, but I should have reserved the 1 cup like the recipe called for....that is what happens when I am in a rush.

PS: I added bacon. It was the star of the dish of course!

PPS: This dish was even better the next day for lunch.

PPS: EAT ALL THE BACON!!!


Ingredients

1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2-3 clove garlic (minced) **the original recipe only called for one, I added more because I love garlic**
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 teaspoons flour
1 cup 2% milk **I used 3/4 cup of 1% and 1/4 cup of whipping cream**
3/4 cups grated (parmesan cheese)
3 tablespoons fresh parsley
2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
12 ounces fettuccine noodles
1/2 pound of bacon **more or less depending on your love of bacon**

Directions

1. Cook the bacon, as much as you want. Lay in some paper towel to get rid of the grease, then crumble it. Reserve for later.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fettuccine and cook until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot.


3. Make the sauce: Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and cook until the garlic is slightly soft, about 1 minute.

4. Add in the flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, 1 minute.

5. Whisk in the milk and 3/4 teaspoon salt and cook, whisking constantly, until just thickened, about 3 minutes.

6. Add the cream cheese and parmesan cheese; whisk until melted, about 1 minute.

7. Stir in the chopped parsley and reserved bacon.


8. Add the sauce and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water to the pasta and gently toss to combine, adding more cooking water as needed to loosen. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with parmesan and pepper.



No comments:

Post a Comment