Sunday 5 May 2013

Cajun Chicken Pasta

Cajun Chicken Pasta (on the lighter side)

So, my girlfriend that has introduced me to some of my favourite recipes made this for us the other weekend. I went back for 3 helpings, so I could easily say that I LOVED it.

I have to say that I liked hers more and I think it was because she is usually heavy on the spice. I have not cooked with Cajun seasoning a lot, so I didn't know how far to push the spice and I have to say that I pansied out in the spice department. Next time will not be the case.

The original recipe (click on title) called for mushrooms. I do not eat fungus, so I skipped that ingredient.


Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces uncooked linguine (I used fresh, but next time I will use whole wheat)
  • 1 pound chicken breast strips (I would use 1 large or 2 chicken breasts)
  • 1-2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I didn't add enough for my liking, so I would 2 tsp and up)
  •  olive oil
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 medium tomatoes, diced
  • 1 cup fat free low sodium chicken broth (I used epicure)
  • 1/3 cup skim milk (I used 1%)
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 3 tbsp light cream cheese
  • fresh cracked pepper
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • salt to taste

Directions:

1. Prep all your vegetables. In a small blender make a slurry by combining milk, flour and cream cheese. **I didn't use my blender, I just used a fork and mashed it up** Set aside. Season chicken generously with Cajun seasoning, garlic powder and salt.

2. Prepare pasta in salted water according to package directions.

3. Heat a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 tbsp olive oil and add half of the chicken. Sauté 5 to 6 minutes or until done, set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining chicken. Set aside. **I didn't prepare a lot of chicken, so I threw it all in at once**

4. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to the skillet and reduce to medium; add bell peppers, onions, and garlic to skillet, sauté 3-4 minutes

5. Add tomatoes and sauté 3-4 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, garlic powder and fresh cracked pepper to taste.

6. Reduce heat to medium-low; add chicken broth and pour in slurry stirring about 2 minutes.

7. Return chicken to skillet; adjust salt and Cajun seasoning to taste, cook another minute or two until hot, then add linguine; toss well to coat. Top with chopped scallions and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment