Sunday 22 September 2013

Vegetable Tortellini Soup

Now for my favourite recipe of the week by far. Actually, probably one of my favourite recipes in  a long time. My mother in law made this for lunch a few weeks ago and I fell in love with it. I got the recipe and I could not wait to try it out. I literally shoveled it into my mouth. I really couldn't get it in my pie hole fast enough. It is VERY YUMMY and even better....very healthy!!! Everyone loved it but my kids...I think they has texture issues with the cheese tortellini, but my son said he would have loved just having the vegetables by themselves. I also shared it with a friend at lunch and she loved it as well. It is her turn to make me soup next time ;)

I made the broth the night before to help reduce time when I got home from work the next day. I am SO glad I did that and I would highly recommend it. I think I will make the broth without the Tortellini and spinach and freeze it for a quick meal. I also think I may change the type of pasta I use so my kids can enjoy it as well.

You really should make this recipe this week! Maybe you should make it tomorrow and then share it with me.


Vegetable Tortellini Soup

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 cups of chopped onion
4 Garlic cloves, minced
12 cups/3 L of Chicken Stock (I used Organic)
14 oz can of Diced Tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cup of grated carrot
1 1/2 cup chopped Zucchini with peel
1 cup of chopped peppers (I used red, yellow and orange)
2 Bay Leaves
1 tsp of Dried Rosemary
1/4 tsp Salt
350 g (1 package) of Tortellini (I used Cheese to make it Meatless)
3 cups of fresh Spinach leaves

Instructions:

1. Heat cooking oil in Dutch Oven or large pot on medium high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5- 10 minutes, stirring often, until onion is softened.

2. Add next 8 ingredients, Stir and bring to a boil. (This is where I stopped when I made the broth the night before)

3. Add Tortellini, stir and reduce heat to medium. Boil gently, uncovered for 8 minutes. Cook until Tortellini is tender, but firm.

4. Add Spinach, stir and cook for about 2 minutes. Discard Bay leaves.

Yes, it was that easy!!! Enjoy!!! Make it this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment