Wednesday 3 April 2013

Italian Drunken Noodles

Italian Drunken Noodles

This recipe is another keeper! I loved this dish and it was a huge hit with my son who LOVES sausage. This recipe is very easy to make, especially if you do the prep the night before. The only thing I added was spinach at the end, which I am glad I did. I love spinach.

As a side note, I made the  lentils and brown rice last night and it was so so...I used the wrong kind of lentils and rice, so I will be attempting it again and when I do, I will post the recipe then. The marinade for the pork chops was DELICIOUS though.

Now, back the Italian Drunken Noodles....

One of my favorite dishes is a Thai Drunken Noodle at a Thai restaurant in our city. It will always hold a special place in my heart because I was eating it when I went into labor for my daughter. I ate mine, half of my man's. My dessert and most of his dessert....then I went to the hospital shortly after.

So, when I saw another bloggers spin on the Drunken Noodle, I had to try it. So, here it is.




Ingredients:
Olive oil
4 spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed **I used 3 and it was SPICY, use mild if you would like less spice**
1 large onion, quartered and sliced thinly
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
1 orange bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
½ cup white wine (I used Chardonnay)
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
8 ounces Pappardelle noodles, uncooked **I used whole wheat fettuccine and it was great**
Preparation:
- Place a large, heavy-bottom pan or braising pot over medium-high heat; add about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and once the oil is hot, crumble the spicy Italian sausage into the pan in small chunks, allowing it to brown in the oil for a few moments on each side; once the crumbled sausage is browned, remove it from the pan/pot with a slotted spoon and place into a small bowl to hold for a moment.
- Add the sliced onion into the pan with the sausage drippings, and allow it to caramelize and become golden for roughly 5 minutes or so, stirring to keep it from burning (add a touch more olive oil, if necessary); once the onion starts to become golden, add the salt, Italian seasoning and cracked black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add in the sliced bell peppers, and allow those to saute with the onion for about 2 minutes until slightly tender and golden. I start boiling the water for the noodles at this point.
- Add in the garlic, and once it becomes aromatic, add in the white wine and allow it to reduce for a few moments, until almost completely reduced. 
- Add in the diced tomatoes with their juice, and return the browned spicy Italian sausage back into the pan, and gently fold the mixture to combine; allow it to gently simmer for about 3-4 minutes to blend the flavors, then turn the heat off.
- Add the noodles, basil and parsley. To finish the sauce, drizzle in about 2-3 good tablespoons of the olive oil to create a silky, rich flavor, and add the spinach if you want to at this point.
-I didn't do this, but to garnish, you can sprinkle some more basil; you can even top with shaved Parmesan, if desired, and an extra drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment